Wednesday, April 30, 2008
emphasis on 'waste'. check it:
'guerrilla gardeners' plant flowers on a spot of urban wasteland in south london April 22, 2008. the 'guerrilla garderners' work under the cover of night, armed with seed bombs, chemical weapons and pitchforks. their tactics are anarchistic, their attitude revolutionary. their aim: to beautify. (source: reuters)
also check out: www.guerrillagardening.org
for amelia, with love.
last night was so much fun!! leah and suze bought me tickets to the black kids and cut copy for my birthday and the show went down yesterday at richard's on richards.
seriously, i haven't boogied like that at a show since ratatat played there last year. also awesome, ryan and sal, my friends from cali, are back in town filming the rest of their part in the new diablo cody movie 'jennifer's body', and they managed to finagle some last minute tickets in the nick of time.
* 'time stands still' - second song in cut copy's set. so rad.
* 'listen to your body tonight' - black kids slayed this one.
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
why i love shotgunning:
* it is easier to drink them faster this way.
* you can have contests.
* it is a reason to buy an 8-pack of cold shots.
* it is fun to do with friends.
* it reminds me of good times camping.
* lots of friends can do it at the same time.
* it always makes for a good story.
* dudes are always impressed.
Monday, April 28, 2008
it all started last year at the sasquatch festival. these maniacs, ghostland observatory, blasted the shit out of my retinas and stole my heart.
i'm heading back to sasquatch for my second consecutive year (may 24-26) and these guys are now CLOSING the festival. only one thing tops this - that being that they will be playing richard's on richards the following evening, and that i've already got those tickets in my hot little hand. guaranteed, this promises to be one of the best shows of the year.
do yourselves a favour and check them out: www.myspace.com/ghostlandobservatory
Friday, April 25, 2008
so apparently hockey's rough-housing new york ranger, canadian sean avery has a passion for fashion. this guy will be living every (independently wealthy) young woman's dream this summer, and working as an unpaid intern for american vogue.
not only that, but word on the street is that he'll also be accompanying hamish bowles, vogue's editor-at-large, to paris (!) for fashion week.
it might just be the biggest hip-hop event to ever land in vancouver - the rock the bells tour will (finally) be making its first ever stop here on the best coast in late august. highlights from the line-up include:
* a tribe called quest
* nas (illa!!)
* mos def (my future husband)
* de la soul
* method man & red man
* raekwon & ghostface
* immortal technique
* dead prez
* kid sister (she'd better fucking sing 'control')
* the cool kids (going to see them next tuesday with leah and suze - woot!)
* and special guest THE PHARCYDE!
go to ticketmaster.com for tickets, or to http://www.guerillaunion.com/rockthebells/ for more info. seriously though, if mgmt got added to this bill - i'd go full on groupie on this shit..
Thursday, April 24, 2008
looks like these two won't going down the dirty boulevard alone anymore. everyone's favourite sardonic american legend, lou reed, and his companion of over thirteen years, celebrated performance artist laurie anderson, finally made it official and got hitched this month. wowee. even the most cynical of us can make silk purses out of sow's ears..
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
* got drunk with kris.
* biked to gastown to catch game 7.
* drank (more than) several doubles.
* bartender asked if he could call me 'buffy'.
* ghost texted people telling them, 'too bad your team [read: calgary] sucks!'.
* watched kris crash her new(ish) bike over seventeen times.
* biked from gastown to kitsilano.
* smoked ciggies with arjan.
* did a bunch of jagger shots at yew york.
* yelled 'hootie hoo' when i saw the cops outside of kris' apartment.
* biked all the way back to east van in under 20 minutes.
* woke up with a barfy headache.
Monday, April 21, 2008
okay, so there's this guy in the states, david horvitz. some might call his what he is doing 'art'; some might call it 'money grubbing'. i'm not sure what to make of it, entirely, but i kind of wish i'd sorted something like this out myself.. check out this link and let me know what you think: http://davidhorvitz.com/if/index.html
Thursday, April 17, 2008
so last year, word on the street was that best friends, henry holland, of house of holland, and agyness deyn, supermodel of the moment (and a total c.z. guest doppelganger), had teamed up to design their very own line of jewlery. unfortunately for us, their combined schedules are more than likely interfering with when (or if) this shit is going to drop. but we're still waiting..
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
i finally got to strike one of the things i've wanted to do for my ENTIRE LIFE off of my bucket list.
sing back-up. in a vintage lace bridesmaid dress and a feathered headdress, no less. colleen - i am so honoured you asked me to be a part of this. thank-you thank-you thank-you!!
more cute swede bloggers - boys this time! http://breachofstyle.blogg.se
more for the wishlist:
* mike & chris tight leather bomber.
* floral skirt.
* new heels.
* new sunnies.
* big leather purse with studs.
* sewing machine.
* more dresses.
* saucony running sneakers (because mine are beat).
Monday, April 14, 2008
hey guys, hope your weekend was a wonderful one. finally we got some well-deserved sun in vancouver, and i got to enjoy a lovely sunday morning bike ride and pilsner tall boy with my good friend susan.
on my way home yesterday i found myself outside of 'jonathan & olivia' on main and i knew i had to pop in and check out (read: try on) some of the new pieces they just got in from opening ceremony by chloe sevigny. the delicate floral prints were amazing, but unfortunately for me, the price-tags were NOT.
i think i'll stick with my consignment store usuals for the next while.. at least until i am flush with my tax return, or until i have some sort of capital windfall.
on the bright side, i've kept myself fairly occupied monitoring one of my favourite new fashion blogs - http://elinkan.blogg.se
pretty, sweet, super feminine, euro-youth steez. don't forget your toothbrush.
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Monday, April 7, 2008
okay, so lately my posts have been few and far between, but that's only because i am getting crazy worked at ye olde jobbe. in my downtime, howver, i have been logging some serious minutes on vice.tv
although i was totally struck by baby balls' report on the sewer dwellers of bogota, what i have been kvetching over has been 'the cute show'. now seriously, it's all about baby animals and other cute shit. the report on 'bunnies' was just brills. what really got me interested, though, was the report on 'special needs animals'. seriously, check out how adorable the guy is at the beginning of the report when he's talking about falling in love with his amazing blind cat.
now if you've ever thought about getting a cat or dog, this episode will have you rethinking where you might find your animal. www.petfinder.org helps place animals in need in loving homes. i also recommend checking out www.eddieswheels.com - it's a website geared toward providing wheelchairs for disabled dogs and cats, and it's full of adorable pictures of these animals enjoying their newfound mobility.
three cheers for the cute show! woot.
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
i have been to some amazing concerts in the past couple of weeks. the list is as follows:
* beach house - went over this baltimore-based band in a previous posting. they put on a lovely show at the media club and i can't wait to see them perform again.
* jason collette - put on an early show at the plaza club saturday, march 22nd. this countrified gentleman is also part of the brilliant toronto-based ensemble band, broken social scene. his solo projects have been consistently masterly, and his back up band is super tight. this guy is a must-see if you ever get the chance.
* minus the bear - played richard's on richards last monday, march 24th. high energy - great opening bands. leah and i had a wicked vantage point from the balcony to the right of the drummer. i can't wait 'til they play vancouver again.
* justice - brought the beats to the commodore the next night, tuesday, march 25th. dj diplo opened for the france-based duo and did a great job of warming up the crowd for what might have been the most high-energy show i've been to all year. kris, alana, leah and i were straight fist-pumping for the whole thing - jump on these tickets when they come by van again (and you know they will).
* ben rogers - this guy has the voice of an angel from country heaven and is an incredibly gifted up-and-coming local singer/songwriter. fortunately for me, i am lucky enough to call him my friend and guitar teacher! ben just put on his own brand of signature folk/americana at his show last night, monday, april 1st at the railway club, and brought the house to their feet with the help of a couple of special guests, colleen and rory. definitley check him out: http://www.myspace.com/benrogersmusic