Wednesday, April 2, 2008
i have been to some amazing concerts in the past couple of weeks. the list is as follows:
* beach house - went over this baltimore-based band in a previous posting. they put on a lovely show at the media club and i can't wait to see them perform again.
* jason collette - put on an early show at the plaza club saturday, march 22nd. this countrified gentleman is also part of the brilliant toronto-based ensemble band, broken social scene. his solo projects have been consistently masterly, and his back up band is super tight. this guy is a must-see if you ever get the chance.
* minus the bear - played richard's on richards last monday, march 24th. high energy - great opening bands. leah and i had a wicked vantage point from the balcony to the right of the drummer. i can't wait 'til they play vancouver again.
* justice - brought the beats to the commodore the next night, tuesday, march 25th. dj diplo opened for the france-based duo and did a great job of warming up the crowd for what might have been the most high-energy show i've been to all year. kris, alana, leah and i were straight fist-pumping for the whole thing - jump on these tickets when they come by van again (and you know they will).
* ben rogers - this guy has the voice of an angel from country heaven and is an incredibly gifted up-and-coming local singer/songwriter. fortunately for me, i am lucky enough to call him my friend and guitar teacher! ben just put on his own brand of signature folk/americana at his show last night, monday, april 1st at the railway club, and brought the house to their feet with the help of a couple of special guests, colleen and rory. definitley check him out: http://www.myspace.com/benrogersmusic